Protest By Students Over Exam Fraud In Jharkhand Enters 24th Day
Students continued their indefinite sit-in at Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, demanding action over exam irregularities
The protest by students demanding action over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) entered its 24th day on Monday, August 17, as the government and protesters prepared for another round of talks in Ranchi.
Large numbers of students gathered at the Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, where they continued their indefinite sit-in and pressed the government for strict action over alleged examination irregularities. The protesters have also warned that they will gherao the chief minister’s residence on August 20 if their demands are not addressed.
Monday’s meeting was the fourth round of negotiations between student representatives and government officials. The previous three rounds failed to produce a breakthrough, increasing pressure on both sides to find a resolution to the prolonged agitation.
Hunger strikes intensify
The protest has also intensified with several students undertaking hunger strikes. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, who has been fasting for 15 days, said the movement had received support from people across Jharkhand and beyond.
Mahto called for sweeping reforms in the state’s recruitment examination system. He argued that students who spend years preparing for competitive examinations should not have to deal with paper leaks, cheating or allegations of jobs being sold.
He also criticised repeated examination cancellations and investigations, saying they had failed to provide a lasting solution. According to Mahto, the government needs to introduce structural reforms and provide assurances that similar irregularities will not recur.
Another protester, Prem Nayak, said he was on the 14th day of his hunger strike as the sit-in entered its 24th day. “Our health is steadily deteriorating,” Nayak said, claiming that prolonged fasting had left protesters struggling to sit, walk and sleep.
He urged the government to respond to what protesters consider legitimate demands, warning that continued inaction could push students towards more aggressive forms of protest.
Students insist demands are non-negotiable
Student leader Ravindra Paswan said protesters remained hopeful that Monday’s talks could produce a solution but maintained that they would not compromise on their core demands.
“We will continue our agitation until our demands are fulfilled,” Paswan said.
He said four students had been on hunger strike for around 12 to 13 days, with two hospitalised and two continuing their fast at the protest site.
Rahul Kranti, who is receiving treatment at Sadar Hospital after his health deteriorated during the hunger strike, accused the Hemant Soren government of failing to adequately address the students’ concerns.
The protesters are demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe, cancellation of JPSC examinations numbered 11 to 13 and the CGL examination. They are also seeking an investigation into all recruitment examinations conducted in the state since 2019.
Kranti alleged that irregularities had affected examinations conducted during both the first and second Hemant Soren governments.
Talks could determine next phase
With three rounds of discussions failing to resolve the dispute, Monday’s fourth round of talks is being closely watched. Students have maintained that their demands are non-negotiable and have vowed to continue their agitation until concrete action is taken.
The outcome of the meeting could determine the next phase of the protest, particularly with the students threatening to demonstrate outside the chief minister’s residence on August 20 if their demands remain unmet.
